When you decide to prep your home for sale there are some very important things that you need to consider doing so that you get top dollar for the listing.
1. Clear the clutter! The last thing that a buyer wants to see when they walk into your house is piles of unopened mail, lots of appliances on the kitchen counter or cluttered bathroom vanities. Find a place to put everything, box things that you don’t need to use daily and store them neatly in the garage or donate anything that you are no longer in need of. Kids toys are also a big no-no. If you have kids then make sure that you can easily and quickly “hide” their toys when your house is going to be shown.
2. Fresh coat of paint – A fresh coat of paint will go a long way with buyers especially when the colors that it’s currently painted are specific to your taste. When you choose cool neutral tones to repaint the house in then buyers will be able to imagine themselves in the house rather than trying to figure out how to conform their things into a more customized house.
3. Landscaping – Curb appeal is a must when selling your home. If you don’t take the time to landscape the front yard then some buyers won’t even waste their time viewing the house. Think about it, if they don’t think that you care enough to manage your yard why would they assume that you are taking proper care of the interior. In the back yard you should clean up the landscaping. Trim bushes and trees, make a nice flower garden or lay out an area where they can imagine their own garden. Make sure that your patio furniture is clean and the yard looks inviting.
4. Remove personal affects – We all know how much you love your family photos and trinkets but you definitely don’t want any potential buyers distracted by your personal items.
5. Staging – Staging is a very simple method where you highlight the homes strengths and downplay its weaknesses in order to present the house in the best light to the potential buyers. This can be done with strategic furniture and accessories placement. By making large rooms feel comfortable and cozy. By making small rooms feel larger and more spacious. If you aren’t sure how to stage your furniture then you can look at home magazines or even Pinterest to get some ideas.
The key to selling a house quickly is to allow the buyer to fall in love with their surroundings and be able to imagine themselves living there. If you follow these simple, fail proof steps, then you will be amazed at how painless the actual sales process will be!